Sunday, January 20, 2013

I say to the mountain, "GO"!


I have seriously been pondering the idea of “Faith” for quite a few months now.  I’ve wondered often at the depth of my faith that has occurred throughout this journey.  Why am I experiencing such a deepening of my faith and strength of my soul during the most difficult time of my life?  It isn’t unusual to see people crumble or falter, at least for a time, during periods of incredible trial.   So why have I not experienced a time of crumble?  It makes no sense.  I am not a theologian, I am not Bible scholar, I am just me; a mom, a wife, a sister, a friend, a sinner, a child of God.

I say to the mountain, "GO!"
I have been a woman in need of something bigger than myself for the “self” that I thought I knew was altered forever on April 7, 2012.  I became a mom of a 20 year old that no longer had a 20 year old to mother.  What do I do with that part of me that had been so all consuming? 

I look back on those first few days and I see clearly how God lead me, and continues to lead me, through my desperation. I was reading Romans 4: 19-20 where Abraham had just been told that at age 100, he and Sarah were going to have a child.

“Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead – since he was about a hundred years old – and that Sarah’s womb was also dead.  YET, he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God.”

                Abraham and Sarah’s birthing bodies were dead (they shouldn’t have been able to create a child); they had been told something unbelievable.  YET, Abraham’s faith did not waver regarding God’s promise but rather was STRENGTHENED in his faith and he gave glory to God.  I had to face the fact that I no longer had a 20 year old child to mother.  I am still his mother, but I can no longer do the mothering things a mom would do.  How do I deal with that loss and find hope? The verse that has plagued my mind from day one is Romans 8:28:

“And we know that ALL things work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.”

I had to CHOOSE to believe that God meant what he said; ALL things will work together for good.  Good would come out of my time of devastation.   Obviously I was shaky in that belief but I chose to go on record that I was going to choose to believe God’s promises.  Interestingly, I was recently directed to Mark 11: 22-24 where Jesus says “Have faith in God.  Truly I tell you, SAY to this mountain, GO…”  I chose to tell “despair” to “GO, I am choosing faith!”   I was declaring not what I wanted, but who God promised He would be for meI declared it for all to see through my blogs, and because of that I was going to be held accountable to it.  Of course I didn’t really know I was doing all of this and this is what amazes me.  I was walking out the scriptures without really knowing what I was doing.  But my heart knew what it was dong as the Holy Spirit directed it because back when I was 7 I took even a greater leap of faith and I gave my life to Jesus. 

Giving your life to Jesus and choosing a resurrected life is the greatest act of faith someone can take.  “Faith is the things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews 11:1.  Faith takes courage.  Courage to acknowledge we need something bigger than ourselves and in that courageous step we receive, “Life” with a big L.  This is a favorite statement of our pastor and I love it.  I want Life with a big L.  I want a courageous Faith with a big F.  I want a walk that astounds me and others.  I have that in Jesus.

Now that I have found the scripture to back up what my actions have been through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I plan on SAYING to all mountains, GO!  In the name of Jesus, GO!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I love how God shows us, a little at a time, what it is He is doing with us, and confirms it through His word. Thanks for sharing. And... where in the world did you find that picture?! It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete