Friday, April 11, 2014

Behind closed doors

 
Spring is here and my neighbors and I are finding ourselves outdoors more.  The other day I was washing my car and one of my neighbors, whom I have only waved to throughout the winter months, stopped by and we had an opportunity to catch up.  As we caught each other up on our lives we both realized how much goes on behind closed doors that we can be so oblivious to.

We see a pretty house, we see pretty people walking in and out of the house with pretty smiles, and we assume all is o.k.  I wonder if we went around our neighborhood and knocked on the doors and said, "Hey, I'm just wondering, do you guys have struggles too?"  I'm pretty sure we would get an earful of struggles that even the most perfect looking families deal with on a daily basis; yet we all pretend life is beautiful and perfect.


I actually count myself blessed that we decided to put a memorial garden for Ryan in our front yard.  I've had neighbors say, "When I walk passed I see your cross and I'm reminded to pray for your family."  Isn't that just lovely?  They know that specific struggle and they choose to carry our burden to the Lord for us.


My family is a walking example of how prayers have mounted up and impacted our lives.  This got me to thinking.....

What if we all had a cross in our front yard that displayed our struggles? I'm sure instantly, many are thinking, "NO WAY! I could never expose myself that way."

But think about it.   How wonderful would it be to have people walk passed our homes and know just exactly how to lift us up to the Lord.  The sense of connectedness would be amazing as we walked passed one another's homes and saw that others carry burdens too, perhaps even our same burden; we are not alone.  It would be amazing to be aware that each one of us is on the same journey of working through our struggles and getting to that other side to find joy.  And, it would be transforming to know how to pray for one another. 

I know, I live in a dream world.  But I wonder, what would be on your cross?

 
We live such isolated lives.  We think we are being strong by keeping our burdens to ourselves and not bothering anyone with them.  Well I think that is a bunch of hooey!! 

There is beauty in sharing each other's burdens.  The burden becomes lighter as we allow others to carry a piece of it with us.  As we bring the burden into the light the grip of darkness is removed and light has the ability to shine into it, producing beauty from ashes.

I am continually reminded how much we need each other. 

I Corinthians 12:7

A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. 

If God thought we could make it on our own he would have given each of us all gifts necessary to exist on our own; but that is not what he did.  He gave each of us our own gifts, designing us to be in fellowship with one another, ministering to each other with what is needed.

When we remain isolated, we rob others of our gifts and of the opportunity for others to minister to us.

I'm going to take some action on this thought process.  I care about my neighbors and believe my family moved to this neighborhood for a reason; it wasn't a coincidence.  None of my life is a coincidence.

I'm going to talk with a couple other neighbors, whom I know have a heart for our neighbors as well, and see if we can't host a monthly potluck.  This is not so that we can get up in everyone's business, but so that our neighbors know that they are not alone behind their closed doors. There are people who care deeply about them and want to share the joys and the sorrows, the good and the bad.

The Wahl door will remain opened.


 


2 comments:

  1. Is that really your front door? IT's beautiful. I don't remember it looking like that. Anyway.... I would love to talk with you about this! I SOOO wish you were here so we could share our hearts and pray for one another. I miss your friendship and like minded spirit deeply! I'm longing for that here. What is it that keeps us from reaching out, stepping out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Elisabeth, it isn't. I just like the red door. :) Might decide to paint mine red though....Miss having you close by as well. We each have our mission fields I guess. Thank goodness we can keep up with each other's lives through FB though. It isn't the same, but it is more than friends had many years ago! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete