Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Essence of Heaven

"That was a bit of Heaven." "That was Heaven on earth."  Have you heard these phrases before?  I have, and they are usually associated with something beautiful, delightful and enjoyable; something that pleased us.  I suppose that is because of what we read in Revelations 21:4  "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” That sounds so peaceful and beautiful doesn't it?

Perhaps we are short sited in this perspective.  When I think of Heaven I think of being in the presence of my Savior continually; the constant presence of the one who formed me, knew me and walked beside me on my journey called "life".  Ahhh, Heaven.  And yet, I think I've been experiencing part of the beauty of Heaven while I've been on my journey down here on earth as well. 

As I have been learning to abide in Him and lay both the good and the bad at his feet, I have experienced a deep love and covering.  This allows me to be in the midst of trials and sorrow and still experience his peace and beauty as if I were in the midst of something wonderful.  I haven't always felt this way. 

For most of my years I held Heaven off as a destination I would get to when my time on earth was finished. I knew that I believed in him and would obtain that eternal presence with him when my time came.   

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." 

I knew I would see the kingdom of God one day.

John 3:3 "Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”  

But I really didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.  Heaven was a destination I felt confident about because of my choice to receive Christ as my Savior but wasn't a part of my every day life.

And then Ryan died and Heaven reached down and touched my soul.  I felt linked to it in a very personal way.  Others I knew had died and I imagined them in heaven, but this was my son, someone who was formed in my womb was now experiencing Heaven. The things we had taught him to hope for by choosing Jesus Christ to be part of his life were his reality.  His time had come.

This event would be the beginning of my understanding of what it would mean to keep my eyes lifted up to the heavens and in doing so, experience the essence of heaven while still here on earth.  The depth of my faith and trust in God through this event is what lead me to this place; much like Abraham.

In Genesis 22 God asks Abraham to take his son, his only son, to the mountains and sacrifice him as a burnt offering.  YIKES!  What kind of a God does that?  But read on. 

Abraham gets up early the next morning  and loads up his donkey with all that is needed for the event and then three days later packs up his son and tells people they are leaving to worship and then they would be back.  WOW!  What trust in the Lord.  He was immediately obedient and in that obedience trusted God for the outcome.

We then read further that Abraham went through all the actions of being willing to sacrifice his son, his only son, and then just as he was raising his hand with a knife God called down, "Abraham! Abraham!"  and Abraham says, "Here I am!"  I can imagine Abraham screamed that with tearful eyes of anticipation.  And God said, "Abraham, do not lay a hand on that boy.  Now I know you fear God because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."  And Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught up in the thicket. He went over and took the lamb and sacrificed it in place of his son.

And the Lord said, "...because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I promise I will bless you with everything I have -- bless and bless and bless!  God can't and doesn't break his word.  He is sinless.  His word and promises are unchangeable. Abraham received everything God promised him.

As I read this account I can't help but think how I didn't have to choose Ryan's death, I didn't get that option.  My option became whether I would put my son's death on the alter and trust God with it.  Or, would I become bitter and angry and tell God he had to be wrong, this couldn't be right?

Every day we have opportunity to put things on the alter; marriages, relationships, illnesses, miscarriages, jobs, situations, catastrophic events, etc.  How often do we hold those things in our hands and refuse to put them on the alter because we think we must know better than God.  He couldn't possibly know what he is doing in this regard, not if it means we experience pain and suffering!?

I'm going to argue that we can put anything and everything on that alter and trust him with the outcome.  We don't need to argue and cajole and manipulate and stomp our feet in anger. We can lay it there and "rest".  As we learn to do this and trust God for the outcome we too, like Abraham, can receive that peace, peace and more peace and experience that essence of Heaven that only God can provide.

I have been learning to do this; laying it all on the alter.  When I have chosen to do this I have found that piece of Heaven in my every day life.  I have experienced Heaven on earth, that peace of having the constant presence of my Savior right by my side.

I will continue to purpose to do this until that time when I will enter the gates of Heaven and experience no more tears or death or mourning or crying or pain and the former things will have passed away. I will see my son and all those who have gone before me and walk beside my Savior.

I'm reminded of a chorus we used to sing as kids.
 
Heaven is a wonderful place.
Filled with glory and grace.
I want to see my Savior's face.
Heaven is a wonderful place. 
(I want to go there).

No comments:

Post a Comment